What is included in a property inventory?

A property inventory is an independent, detailed, thorough and descriptive inspection of the condition of the property, including any furniture – if furnished property – with photographic evidence. Our inventories also includes the check in process handing over the keys, right to rent and smoke alarm check within the fee. After the inspection a report will be sent out to both parties, then both renters and landlord have the opportunity to add or amend, before each signing. This is then repeated when the tenant moves out and any damage more than wear or tear is noted and could affect the amount returned on the deposit. If you don’t have an inventory, we can help you. Check our Marketplace for prices.

How much do you charge for an inventory?

The average price for an inventory is £140.00.  The Inventory cost depends on the size of the property and whether it is furnished or not. It includes the check-in process handing over the keys, right to rent and smoke alarm check. This can be as little as £88.00 for a 1 bed flat or £184.00 for a 5 bed house.

What is a Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) and how long does it last?

A CP12 is a gas safety certificate that is legally required by the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. It lasts for 12 months, as part of our service we notify Landlords when this is due and organise for an engineer to attend and reissue. If you don’t have one, we’ll get one for you. Check our Marketplace.

What is a section 21?

A Section 21 notice is a prescribed document informing the renter that you are requiring possession of your property on a specified date.  The notice period is for 2 months.  In order for you to be able to use a Section 21 notice, you must have issued specific documents to your renter on or before the tenancy started.  Once a Section 21 notice has been issued to your renter, it is valid for 6 months after date of issue. You cannot issue a Section 21 notice in specific circumstances. You can download a section 21 Template here.

Plans & Pricing

Do you serve Section 21?

If you currently have your property managed by Howsy, we will serve this for you at no extra cost. Let your property manager know if you need to arrange it.

Do you really take no fees from renters?

Howsy have never believed in unnecessary charges and fees for our renters, as we feel it should be as simple as possible for you to find your home. However, we do need to make you aware of the costs that could be associated with your tenancy.

Before the Tenancy starts:

Holding Deposit: When you put an offer on a property we ask for a Holding Deposit before the referencing stage, so that no one else can put an offer on the property. We’ll only ask for 1 weeks rent and will cap it at £100 per tenant. Assuming everything is okay with your reference, this will be deducted from your first months rent!

Deposit: We request a security deposit on all properties so that our landlords feel secure that their property will be well looked after. This is a maximum of 5 weeks rent in most circumstances, although we may ask for up to 6 weeks if the rent is £4166 or more a month.  We ensure all deposits are protected in a dedicated account, which is usually MyDeposits unless a Landlord has requested a different deposit protection scheme.

During the Tenancy

If you wish to make a change to the tenancy agreement during its term, we may apply a £50 charge or a ‘reasonable cost’ to cover any expenses incurred. We will always discuss this with you beforehand though.

If your rent is paid after its due date, we may apply a 3% interest charge per day until we receive full payment, and it may be reported to a credit referencing agency.

If you lose any keys or security devices for the property, we may ask you to cover the cost of replacing them or locks as required. We will assess this on a case by case basis, and never be more than the actual cost.

If you wish to end the tenancy before the contract date, there may be an early termination charge. This is based on costs incurred by the Landlord in finding new tenants would be discussed with you  You would also remain liable for the rent until either the end of your tenancy agreement or when new tenants move in whichever is sooner.


How do you handle repairs?

We are here 24/7 to assist your tenants with any issues that might arise. We will always try and resolve the problem on the phone if that is possible if not we will contact you to agree on how you want to deal with the problem.

How do you handle urgent repairs?

We are a 24/7 service should an emergency occur, we will access emergency tradesmen to make sure your renters and your property are protected.

Can I use my own contractors for repairs?

Yes. You can give us their details up front and we’ll keep them in our records for when they are needed, or you can let us know who they are when we contact you about a specific maintenance or repair issue.

What repairs are my renters liable for?

Your renters will have to pay themselves for broken windows, replacing light bulbs, shower hoses/heads, infestations, and any damage they cause.

Do I have to pay for fixing furniture and white goods?

If the items were in the property at the start of the tenancy, or if they break during the tenancy you are obliged to replace them under the terms of the tenancy.

I want to report a repair/maintenance issue, what do I do?

We are here 24/7 to assist with repairs. If you have a maintenance issue or repair please call us on 0330 999 1234 or, if it’s not an emergency, email

For all emergency repairs, we will do our best to send someone to fix the issue within 24 hours.

For non-emergency repairs, we will ensure that your repair is reported to your landlord within 48 hours. This is because for non-emergency repairs we need your landlord’s authorisation. We cannot obtain quotes or authorise contractors to do these repairs without it. Depending on the priority of the repair, we agreed with our landlords this timeline:

  • Urgent repair:  2days
  • High priority: 3 days
  • Normal/Medium priority: 5 days
  • Low priority: 7 days


Can I visit the property during the tenancy?

Yes, as long as you provide your renters with advance notice and they give their consent in writing. This is best dealt with by an account manager, tell us more about when and why you’d like to visit and we will arrange for the account manager to prepare the paperwork and call you back.

How often do you carry out inspections?

Will do the first inspection 3 months after the new tenancy starts, then every 6 months into the tenancy. You will receive photo reports after each inspection, and you will be able to instruct us to take further action based on these reports.

Rent payments

When will the rent be paid to me?

The first rental payment will be made to you in up to 7 working days after your renters move in, and within 5 working days from receipt in following months.

Can I have an annual statement of my rental income?

Yes, you will get a monthly and annual statement detailing the rental income and any deductions.These are issued in April each year.

When can I put the rent up?

It depends on what sort of contract you have with your tenants. If you are in a fixed term assured shorthold tenancy you cannot increase the rent. We can arrange a rent increase at renewal stage entering into a new AST, or if the tenancy goes onto statutory periodic tenancy, we can give your renters’ one months’ notice of a rent increase. You can only increase the rent every 12 months.  You can only increase the rent to what is a fair market rent at the time you wish to increase the rent.  We can advise on the best approach to increasing the rent in line with market values and the last increase, feel free to ask us for help.

Is my money protected?

Yes, Howsy protects customers money (such as rent or deposits) via Client Money Protect.  You can view our CMP Certificate here.

Giving Notice

When can I give notice to my renters?

If you have a fixed term tenancy agreement, you must give a minimum of two months notice in line with the end date of your agreement. For example: if your fixed term tenancy is due to end of the 15th May 2018 and you want your tenant to vacate on this date. You would need to issue Section 21 notice to all named tenants on or before the 15th March 2018. If you are on a statutory periodic tenancy, you will still need to issue Section 21 notice, however, this can be issued at any time once the tenancy is periodic.

You are unable to end a tenancy during a fixed term period using a Section 21 notice. You can end a tenancy during a fixed term period in specific circumstances.

I decided to sell my property, can I get it back sooner than the agreed tenancy end?

You can sell the property to another landlord with the tenancy in place, this makes an attractive option for a property investor, however, can narrow the market for prospective purchasers.  If the tenancy is a Statutory Periodic Tenancy, then you would need to give your renters 2 months notice that you would like them to move out using a Section 21 notice.  You may be able to obtain possession of your property in order to sell it during a fixed term tenancy, however, you would not be able to use a Section 21 notice.  There is a specific ground for this using a Section 8 notice.

I need to move back into my property, can I get it back sooner than the agreed tenancy?

You may be able to obtain possession of your property during a fixed term tenancy if you require the property to live in yourself.  This is a specific ground for this using a Section 8 notice and has a 2 month notice period. Your account managers can provide you with my guidance around this issue.

I need proof that my tenants have seen EPC, Gas Safety etc.

We are legally required to provide your renters with a copy of the EPC, Gas Safety Certificate, Government How to Rent Guide and Deposit Protection Certificate.  We provide these to the renter when we send out the tenancy agreements for signing.  Your renter has to sign these documents electronically on or before the tenancy start date as proof they have received these documents.

Move out

Can I charge my tenant for check out?

No, we do not tenants absolutely no fees in relation to the check in or check out of a property.

Can I keep part of the deposit without an inventory?

No, with the exception of rent arrears and possibly utility charges.

How long can I keep the deposit once the tenancy ends?

The deposit needs to be returned to your tenants in 10 days.

Overseas landlords

I am an overseas Landlord do you handle tax payments?

As an overseas Landlord we would be required by law to deduct 20% from your rental income and transfer it to HMRC each quarter unless you have registered with HMRC as a non-resident landlord.

To prevent this 20% deduction from happening each quarter (Jan, Apr, July, Oct) ), you will have to register with HMRC using the NRL1i form link below – there is the option to complete the form online which should speed up the registration. HMRC will then send us a letter which will authorise us to send your rental income without tax deductions. There is also the link for the NRLS guidance document if you need further information. If you need further assistance, call us and we can arrange for someone in the Finance team to give you a call to answer any questions you may have.

HMRC Non-resident Landlord scheme guidance

NRL1i Form for Overseas Landlords

Our NRLS approval number is 904/NA057591 (You will need to use NA057591 on the online form) and the full company details are No Agent Technologies Ltd t/a Howsy, 27-33 Bethnal Green Road, London E1 6LA.


Can you handle and register the deposits?

Absolutely. If you don’t have the time or don’t want to deal with it, we will take care of putting the deposit from your renters in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP). We charge a £18 one off fee per tenancy for handling and registration of the deposit. If you’d rather do it yourself, we’re happy to provide guidance.  

Is my money protected?

Yes, Howsy protects customers money (such as rent or deposits) via Client Money Protect.  You can view our CMP Certificate here.


What happens after I create a profile on the Howsy platform?

After you create a profile you will be contacted by one of our colleagues from the sales team. On average it takes 20 minutes until we call you back, but if you are busy and can’t talk we will call later or send you an email. Our colleague will talk to you to make sure that we understand all your requirements, and then notify the Property Account Manager and their team who will begin proceedings to prepare the property to go live on the relevant marketing portals.   

We will also need you to provide a few details, including evidence that you are the lawful owner of the property you are renting:  

– A copy of your I.D (Passport, Driving License)

– Your home address (For any future correspondence)

– Bank details (For rent collection)

– Gas Safety Certificate (If the property has gas)

Of the above list, the most relevant to start marketing is the copy of your I.D.  We are required by law to do property ownership checks for all the properties we market. The rest can always be passed on at a later date if you were more comfortable to do so.


How do you handle keys?

We have a three key policy for all properties we manage, one set for the renter and two for us whilst managing.

If you are using our services for viewings and/or photography, we can arrange a meet with yourself or whomever currently hold the keys in the area to exchange them. Alternatively if that isn’t achievable the keys can be posted to our Operations Office, address below. If you are conducting your own viewings the keys can be supplied once the renters moved in. If you will use our service to check the tenant in,  we would need these sent before the confirmed move in date. If I could also ask you confirm your availability for viewings so they can be booked in accordingly should you be doing them yourself.


Please send keys in secure, padded envelope, with a note of your last name only.

Landlord Support team
2 Park House
Station Square


How do I book a viewing?

You can book a viewing through Howsy app, or from the property portal where you are viewing the property.  Or you can call us 24/7 on 0330 999 1234 and select option 1. If you choose to book on the phone, we will need to ask you a few questions to check if you match the landlords’ requirements.


How do I make an offer for a property I like?

After you’ve viewed the property, you will receive a text message from us with a link where you can make your offer via an online form. We will also call you to get your feedback on the viewing and we can send you the link to place the offer via email.   

Will the landlord accept a lower rent than what’s advertised?

Generally, when valuing a property we will try to agree with the landlord a fair price. This may be based on current market conditions or previous rents. You are free to make a lower offer and we will pass it onto the landlord, but it is their right to reject without further consideration.

I have not received the offer form after the viewing, now what?

Please start by checking your spam box, automated emails often get misplaced. If the email with the link to the offer form is not there, email  or call us on 0330 999 1234 and we will re-send you the offer form.

How will I know if my offer was accepted?

If your offer is accepted you will receive a confirmation email in which we will also ask for the holding deposit (a maximum of £100 per adult) so we can start the referencing process. If the offer was not accepted, you will receive an email letting you know of the fact.

Our team is here to help throughout the entire process but ultimately the landlord chooses what happens next. Sometimes our landlords tell us to accept reasonable offers on their behalf, sometimes they’ll ask us to help facilitate a negotiation. In some circumstances, they will take some time to consider. We’ll do everything we can to speed up the process – by reminding the landlord or offering advice, but ultimately the decision is always the landlord’s. Please have patience and rest assured we will keep you updated every step of the way.

My offer was accepted, now what?

We will ask for a maximum of £100 per adult moving in to start the referencing process which is taken off your first month rent providing the referencing goes through and you do not pull out of the offer.

In the unfortunate event you do not pass referencing, we might ask you to provide either a guarantor or pay the rental term in advance.

Holding deposit

How much is the holding deposit?

The deposit is a maximum of £100 per adult who will be living at the property. If the referencing goes through and you do not change your mind on the property, the deposit will return to you deducted from your first month’s rent.

Credit check & Referencing

What do I need for credit check and referencing?

We work with an accredited independent referencing partner for this step of your renting journey.

You will need to provide your employment details and contact information for an employer referee who can confirm your income. If you are self-employed you must be able to demonstrate your income over a 12-month trading period.

You will need to provide your addresses for the last 3 years. They will be used for credit checks, to confirm you have been located at the supplied addresses by using electoral roll data and information from credit accounts e.g. credit cards, mortgages, mobile phone contracts, etc.

You will also be asked for a reference from the current landlord or letting agent if you have been living in rented accommodation.

We will ask for a maximum of £100 per adult moving in so we can start the referencing process. If the referencing goes through and you do not change your mind on the property, the deposit will return to you deducted from your first month’s rent.

Can I fail the referencing and credit checks?

The most common reasons for not passing referencing checks are:

  • You have insufficient income
  • You have credit history problems, CCJs or have been insolvent
  • You are unemployed or there are concerns about the status of your employment
  • You are self-employed and unable to provide acceptable proof of income
  • You received a negative reference from the current landlord
  • You are a student, unemployed or on Housing Benefit
  • Your history of residence or identity cannot be verified

If you do not pass referencing because of issues related to your income, your employment status or being a student or on Housing Benefits, you might be required to prove either a guarantor or pay the rental term in advance

I need to provide a guarantor, what do they need to do?

Your guarantor must be in employment and earning a minimum of 36 x the rent. Your guarantor must be able to provide proof of income and be willing to act as a guarantor for the duration of your tenancy.

Move in

What happens after I pass the credit check and referencing

Once your references are completed, you will receive an email to confirm your move in date and the amount of rent and deposit you are required to pay. In order to quicken the process in moving you in, we would ask that this payment be made as soon as possible.

Why do I need a deposit?

If you are not a Howsy Club member renting with zero deposit, you need to pay a tenancy deposit of 5 weeks worth of rent (for properties where the monthly rental amount is more than £4166 this increases to 6 weeks worth of rent)

How do you protect my deposit?

It is a legal requirement for a tenancy deposit to be protected with a government approved scheme. We protect deposits with MyDeposits, a leading tenancy deposit protection scheme provider, authorised by the UK Government. Your deposit will be registered with them within 30 days of us receiving it. You will receive a copy of your deposit certificate as well as the prescribed information. Please ensure you retain these documents for your records.


I want to make a complaint, what steps do I take?

Step 1

If you are unhappy with our service then please contact our customer experience team who will attempt to resolve the issues you are facing. They can be contacted by phone or email:


Step 2

If our customer experience team are unable to resolve your concerns to your satisfaction then please request for our customer experience team member to escalate your complaint to their line manager. The line manager will acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days and will assess your complaint and provide a response  back to you within 5 days.


Step 3

If this is still not resolved to your satisfaction then please write to our Directors Team.

Howsy – Directors Team
27-33 Bethnal Green Road
E1 6LA

Your complaint will be acknowledged within 2 days and a full investigation will be undertaken with a formal response sent to you within 28 days which will be Howsy’s final response to the issues raised.


Step 4

If we are still unable to resolve your issues or you are not happy with the resolution then you would need to put your complaint in writing to the Property Redress Scheme (PRS). Their contact details can be found at

Never mind 9 to 5, we're here 24/7


Quick question?

Live Chat

Speak to one of our friendly team

Speak to us️

Call 0330 999 1234